August 19, 2026
Prepare now for hotter, drier weather ahead

Prepare now for hotter, drier weather ahead

PREPARATIONS are ramping up across NSW as the bushfire season approaches, with a strong focus on protecting local homes, properties and communities.

Senior leaders from emergency services, land managers and community groups are meeting this week at the NSW Hazard Reduction Roundtable to fine-tune plans before the official danger period begins for most of the state on 1 October.

Some northern areas have already entered the bushfire danger period, and agencies are pushing ahead with spring hazard burns to reduce the risk to residents.

Since 1 July 2025, more than 124,000 hectares of public and private land have been treated – over 20 per cent higher than last year’s full annual total – helping protect more than 174,000 properties.

Taskforce Fire Guard, the multi-agency effort led by the NSW Rural Fire Service, has already delivered targeted work on more than 75,000 hectares between April and July.

El Niño conditions are now established, bringing a higher chance of above-average temperatures and below-average rainfall this summer.

Warmer, drier autumn weather has left many parts of NSW unusually dry, with some regions already in drought.

If these conditions continue, fire activity could rise through spring and into the 2026–27 season.

“The National Parks and Wildlife Service has carried out a significant amount of extensive hazard work over the past year, but we know the coming bush fire season will be challenging with hot and dry conditions,” said the Minister for the Environment, Penny Sharpe.

“This roundtable brings together experts and agencies where we can discuss our level of preparedness, share lessons and look at how we can better protect communities and the environment ahead of the bush fire season.”

Commissioner of the Rural Fire Service, Trent Curtin, said the roundtable would involve stakeholders at the forefront of bushfire management.

The event aimed to “futureproof NSW’s approach to preparation and mitigation, ensuring we are ready for the challenges ahead,” he said

“Following several years of above-average rainfall and significant vegetation growth, we need to continue to take every available opportunity to reduce bush fire risk.”

Locals are urged to use the coming weeks to clear around homes, check fire plans and stay abreast of local conditions as agencies continue hazard reduction work wherever weather allows.

You can help your local paper.

Make a small once-off, or (if you can) a regular donation.

We are an independent family owned business and our newspapers are free to collect and our news stories are free online.

Help support us into the future.

Don’t miss the opportunity to have your say.

Our reader survey closes at midnight on Sunday 12th July.

TAKE OUR SURVEY

To help us continue improving and delivering the content you value, we’d love to hear from you.